Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books!
The title should be self explanatory, but in case it isn't, this is a thread to talk about books.  Discuss what books you're reading, what you just read, your favorite books/genres, what someone else has posted about, anything that has to do with books and reading.

I'll start.  I've always been a big fan of fantasy.  I mostly read high fantasy stuff like Lord of the Rings or Inheritance, but the last several books I have read have a large amount of urban fantasy elements to them as well.  Suffice to say I enjoy fantasy, especially if it has to do with dragons.

I recently finished the Dragons in our Midst/Oracles of Fire/Children of the Bard series by Bryan Davis.  I have been a huge fan of Bryan Davis since I first read Raising Dragons some ears ago.  Bryan Davis has the rare gift of being able to grab your interest from the first chapter (often from the first page), and not letting go untl he's done with the book, and sometimes not even then.  His Dragons in our Midst/Oracles of Fire/Children of the Bard series are a fascinating blend of high and urban fantasy elements with a lot of apocalyptic stuff starting around the second book of Children of the Bard, all cuminating in an edge-of-your-seat battle between good and evil that will take you through the entire spectrum of emotions.  I would say more, but I don't want to give anything away in case I've gotten anyone's interest and they want to read the books for themselves.  I will say this, though: the books are written by a Christian author and intended for a Christian audience, but I honestly believe that these books can be enjoyed by anyone regardless of their religious beliefs (or lack thereof).

I'm currently reading the first three Lewis Barnavelt novels by John Bellairs.  I have finished The House With a Clock in its Walls and am starting The Figure in the Shadows.  It's been more than fifteen years since I've read anything by John Bellairs, the last time having been when I went on a near binge read of his books back in eighth grade.  Having gotten back into these books, I am finding them to be both fun and fascinating, and I may decide to go on another binge of these books, assuming I have the money to get all of them.  With six Lewis Barnavelts, four Anthony Mondays, and nine Johnny Dixons, they could be expensive.  Maybe I'll start with the rest of the Lewis Barnavelts and see where that gets me.

Messages In This Thread
Books! - by selfwedgie13 - 08-21-2018, 04:16 PM
RE: Books! - by Red X - 08-21-2018, 11:49 PM
RE: Books! - by selfwedgie13 - 08-22-2018, 12:23 AM
RE: Books! - by Red X - 08-22-2018, 12:24 AM
RE: Books! - by selfwedgie13 - 08-22-2018, 12:31 AM
RE: Books! - by Red X - 08-22-2018, 12:33 AM
RE: Books! - by selfwedgie13 - 08-22-2018, 12:39 AM
RE: Books! - by selfwedgie13 - 11-14-2018, 06:40 PM